Chick Update {month seven}

11.09.2012

Photobucket

- Three out of six of the girls are starting to molt. Notice the lack of feathers on their necks. The first time I noticed it I thought that they might be fighting, but there was no sign of blood. Then I realized it must be time for them to grow their new feathers. I did some research and they will loose their feathers one section at a time. It's strange to me that they decided to do this as the temperatures are starting to drop below freezing.. but what do I know..
- Every morning they leave us five-six eggs in the cozy nesting box (made by my sweet boyfriend). I'm so thankful that they were able to figure out where to lay. It's nice to not have to walk into the coop and dig for the eggs.
- They still peck at me. Really hard. I know it's cause they love me, want treats and because it's part of their instinct, but good grief it sucks.
- The ducks can be loud and messy, but it's beyond cute they way they get along with the girls. Following them around and pooping all over the place. Real cute.
- Now that it's getting cold, we are going to have to do some special things for the birds. Like.. set up a heated water feeder and when it snows, shovel an area outside their coop. Otherwise they won't go out.
- We've started selling eggs. Just to friends, but still it's nice to have people so excited for our fresh eggs!


>> Tomorrow I am having my first Handmade by Nicole Showcase Party! I'm so thrilled to be able to have friends and family over to see my collection of accessories. I'll be sure to share it with all of you next week. But I've still got lots to do, so I better get back to work!
Have a joyous weekend loves.

1 comment:

Amy Powell said...

I secretly wish we had chickens in our backyard, but i know I wouldn't take care of them & our backyard is too small! maybe one day?

xoxo, Amy

I'm hosting my 1000th post party, love for you to come!

ShareThis