HBN news + life debate

1.04.2012

Some of my items are in a store! Yay! Yay! Yay!

The owner of a local dance store contacted me asking if I could make ballet bun covers. I had never crocheted one before, so I did a little research and replied with a giant "YES, of course I can!"

So after a lot of hard work, I made eighteen of them in three different sizes and delivered them to her shop. So now all of her little ballerina customers can buy my items. Isn't that fantastic?! I think it's pretty awesome.

 +

I've been having an internal debate with myself lately about if I should put my handmade business away in box and get a real typical day job. It's been a little over a year since I made the decision to do my handmade jewelry and crocheting for real and although I understand things don't happen over night, I am in fact a struggling twenty-something with many student loans that, unfortunately, don't pay themselves. Not having a regular pay check is a pain the you-know-what and when my bank account slaps me in my face, I can't help but doubt my decision to start this business fresh out of college.

Having someone contact me and order my handmade items has given me a glimpse of hope, however. I'm pushing harder than ever to advertise and send out mass amounts of post cards and brochures in hopes that this bun cover thing will catch on with other dance studios and shops. I am so grateful for a supportive boyfriend and family. Without them, I would have a hard time remembering why I quit my office job and started my own business. When I'm full of doubt and negativity, they gently encourage and remind me to keep working hard and that eventually it will pay off. Maybe not immediately.. but soon. And putting one hundred and fifty percent into it could only result in something good. 

So Thank You, Thank You, Thank You boyfriend & family -- I love you more than you know.



1 comment:

KC said...

those are VERY cute!!! I don't think you should completely put away your handmade stuff...keep it on the side. I think what is important is doing what makes you happy! I'm thinking of an etsy shop this year, if you have suggestions, send them my way :)

ShareThis